Friday, September 27, 2013

Tower of Golden Dragon: A different kind of tricolor (UPDATE 3/7/14)

UPDATE: The boss is actually tough now.

Instead of lightning, we get a holy dragon.

No light or fire diamonds.  So all you get are water, lightning, dark, and heart diamonds.  I didn't see a single non-light enemy strangely enough - usually there's one or two troll enemies that just mess you up because you don't prep for it.

Anyway, the boss has a weak normal attack, but can apparently do good damage in top-level.  I'll try it out later if I think my team is good enough to handle it.

Quick notes about level 2: stage 5 has a holy dragon, and stage 9 has 3 Charybdis.  I don't know what they do exactly, because I took a Njord ally and just wrecked them before they did anything.

For level 3, stage 5 has a pair of wild sleepnir, each hitting fairly hard, and can seal cards (forgot if it was a soul or dark seal), and double attack.  The typical skill set for the mid-boss stage.  The single Charybdis in stage 9 is like the other stage 9 encounters - look around or resurrect (one time only), and seal cards.  She hits for 11160 base damage, CD1.

The boss still doesn't hit that hard, but has a double attack and more card sealing.  CD1 though.  I played it safe as you can see with my team setup.



I opted not to go with a full dark team because I was sure any time a dark seal was used I'd be shut down for 3 turns.  I could try it out anyway since the chance of not getting a decent combo with at least a single dark chain is so small with a tricolor technical mission.  But I did have it happen a couple of times in previous tricolor missions.

The level 3 boss has the following properties:
2318 base attack
0 defense
3300480 HP (found out via toxic attack)
3244 from Double Attack (strange since it's not 2x his normal attack; maybe my holy damage reduction factored strangely into this)
Dark Seal (inactivate all dark cards for 3 turns)
Divine Burst (increases damage by 5X FOR THE REST OF THE FIGHT)


Top level finally brings in some non-light enemies to the battle.  There's a few Jack-In-Irons sprinkled around some stages, a Jack-In-Irons++ in stage 5 (along with a Centaur++), and a Banshee in stage 9.  They are just like what you expect from the other iterations of this quest line from the other dragons.  The Jack-In-Irons++ can use Light Seal which is almost useless, unless you brought in light cards for defense (in which you'd just be unable to use its skill).  The banshee has the usual skills as well - look around, 1 time full heal, etc.  It may have a dark-->stone skill as well, but I didn't see it.

The boss?  It hits even weaker than Wales top level.  You can see with the pics.  I thought it could do a focus ability as well, but I never saw it.  Just double attack, and dark seal.



 I just showed a pic of stage 2 (the trio of dark masks) to show my main strategy for this quest - get to stage 5 with Erinyes's skill available, more skills if possible.  I can stall for time with this setup - all that HP lets me survive that.  My RCR is around 1800+, but I need a good combo of hearts and a fairly long combo chain to recover in stage 5.  Once I get to stage 5, I immediately burn all skills and just burst down the centaur ASAP.  This is the only truly stressful part, as each can do a quick combo skill that does a lot of damage (around 15000 each!).

Stage 9 was a little worrisome since each attack is for around 12k.  However there's no scare of a combo strike, and I could stall a bit by focusing on healing until medusa eyes was available again.  Then just burst her down.

The main boss has a buff that will dramatically increase his damage for the rest of the fight (17k normal attack, 24k double attack).  I thought the boss would activate it upon reaching a certain HP threshold, but that isn't the case.  I'd bet on getting the boss to use the buff before unloading any survival skills (i.e. Medusa Eyes, Shield, etc).

No comments:

Post a Comment